What to Expect
Let’s face it, walking into a new church can be like walking into a foreign country. New people, new customs and new vocabulary (have you ever been around a bunch of computer nerds talking and not had a clue?). It is almost enough to keep you away! But, never fear; we have the solution. If you ever decide to go to a foreign country, you will most likely get a traveler’s guide to help you out. It will tell you about the people, customs and languages you can expect to find there. Like a traveler’s guide, you can use this section of our site as a way to familiarize yourself with Sooner Park Wesleyan Church.
- You can expect to find a warm welcome as soon as you walk through the doors. We have greeters who love to welcome people into the church. We LOVE people, and we are not afraid to show it.
- The next thing that you can expect is to hear music. We start out our services with some announcements, and then we express our love to God through music. Worshiping, our expression of love to God, is our number one priority at SPW! Different people worship in different ways; makes sense, right? You might see some people lifting their hands, some bowing to their knees, some may be dancing, some sitting quietly or simply standing and singing. Feel free to express your love as you are comfortable.
- Another thing that you can expect is to see is prayer. Prayer is another form of worship. It is simply communicating with God. Pastor Greg loves to pray! But do not feel like your prayers have to sound like his; the way you talk to God is a personal thing. He is not grading you on content. He only cares about what is in your heart. We have altars (long wooden benches) at the front of the sanctuary for pray. You will see people go to the altars to pray and to get prayed for. Feel free to use the altars AT ANY TIME during our worship. If you go to the altars to pray, you can expect caring people to come and pray with you. They might even pray out loud for you, but don’t be intimidated by them; they are there because they love you.
- You can also expect to hear a teaching from Pastor Greg! Learning about who God is, what His Word says, and His plan for our lives is yet another way we express our love for Him. Pastor Greg is a passionate teacher who loves to share from God’s Word. His teachings come straight out of the Bible. If it seems like he is “preaching” right at you, I promise he is not; he did not even know you were going to be in church. He is talking to us as “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23). We all need to continually grow.
- And last but not least, you can expect to encounter changed lives. The people at SPW are people who were lost sinners but have been saved from sin by Jesus Christ. Ask some people about their testimonies; you might be surprised at what they have been saved from. That is what you can expect at SPW. You will get out of it what you put into it. You can find here the power and the right tools to transform your life! That is exciting!